Speak with a Registered Dietitian
Registered dietitians of the Nutrition Department educate patients on special diets while they are in the hospital. In addition, registered dietitians teach a variety of classes to the public, including:
- Nutrition During Cancer Treatment – Topics include good nutrition, food safety, supplements, treatment side effects and cancer prevention. Registration is required by calling (734) 240-4188.
Tips for better eating:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables, at least five servings a day. One serving equals ½ cup cooked or 1 cup raw.
- Try to eat a variety of colors. Every time you go to the grocery store pick a new fruit or vegetable you’ve never tried before.
- Choose whole grains such as whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta or brown rice instead of refined products.
- Choose lean meats and protein, eat and drink low-fat dairy as much as possible.
Medical Nutrition Therapy (for Diabetes Management)
Individual appointment with a registered dietitian to meet your specific nutritional needs. Areas addressed can include heart health, kidney disease, weight management, diabetes, or other medical concerns. Fee may be covered by insurance.
To schedule an appointment, call (734) 240-4188.
For inquiries, please leave call (734) 240-1813 to leave your question with a diabetes educator. Someone from the Diabetes Education program will return your call to answer your questions and discuss your concerns.