Back to Women's Center
Stereotactic Breast Core Biopsy
- Local anesthesia is used in this biopsy to obtain multiple core specimens of tissue from the breast for pathological review.
- This procedure is performed at the Diagnostic Center by a radiologist or surgeon.
Ultrasound Guided Core Biopsy
- Local anesthesia is used to obtain core specimens of tissue from the breast for pathological review.
- Ultrasound guided biopsies are performed at Mercy Memorial Hospital System by a radiologist or surgeon.
- Needle localization determines the location of the abnormality found on a mammogram that can not be felt by a physician. The radiologist inserts the localization wire toward the exact position of the abnormality. This procedure is performed prior to an excisional biopsy.
Excisional (Open) Biopsy
- Under general anesthesia, the surgeon makes an incision to remove the localization wire and tissue surrounding it. The specimen is sent to a pathologist for review.
- This procedure is performed by a surgeon in an operating room.